Dept. Industral Engineering - Aerospace Division
Via Claudio 21
80125 Napoli - ITALY
Fax.: (+39)-081-7683622 or (+39)-081-624609
Email : email@example.com
URL: CV (Italian)
Domenico Pietro Coiro
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Industriale (DII) – sezione Aerospaziale
Department of Industrial Engineering (DII) - Aerospace division
Universita’ di Napoli “Federico II”
Via Claudio, 21
80125 Napoli ‑ ITALY
Via S. Francesco ai Gerolomini 5
80078 Pozzuoli (Napoli)
Born 4th July 1960, not married.
Liceo Classico, Diploma, Sala Consilina, 1978 Universita' di Napoli, Laurea summa cum laude, 1985, Aeronautical Engineering
Thesis: " Inverse Methods for Integral Boundary Layer and Numerical Applications "
July 1985 ‑ July 1986
Scientific research cooperation with Alenia (the main Italian aeronautical industry), as part of contract between Alenia and Gasdynamic Insitute of University of Naples
August 1986 ‑ May 1987
Teaching Assistant at Department of Aerospace Enginnering,
June 1987‑ October 1990
Head of Subsonic/Transonic department of CIRA,
November 1990‑ to 2010
Associate Professor at Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale, (Dept.
of Aerospace Engineering) University of
March 2011‑ to date
Vehicle Flight Dynamics, Flight Mechanics, Aerodynamics, Applied and Computational Aerodynamics
Associazione Italiana di Aeronautica ed Astronautica (AIDAA)
American Wind Energy Association (AWEA)
International Scientific and Technical Organization for Soaring
Languages: Italian, English. French, reading ability.
He has been supervisor of numerous degree theses.
has also given many seminars and classes for professional oriented students at
aeronautical industries (Alenia, Piaggio, OAN). He currently teaches Flight
Dynamics and Flight Mechanics classes at the Faculty of Engineering,
his permanence at CIRA (
He is the coordinator of ADAG (Aircraft Design and Aeroflightdynamics Group) www.adag.unina.it composed by 11 researchers
Cooperation and main fields of his research activities:
• Analysis of viscous flows around mono and multi-component airfoils also in non linear regime and at low Reynolds number. Specific analysis for wind turbine airfoils.
• Analysis and prediction of laminar separation bubbles.
• Numerical methods for the prediction of the viscous and separate flows around airfoils in incompressible, compressible and transonic flows
• Unsteady transonic viscous flow around airfoils
• Design of airfoils (also for wind turbines), wings and fuselages.
• He has been responsible for CIRA within the European project ELFIN regarding the Natural Laminar Flow on bodies and wings
• Non linear dynamics of the aircraft at high incidences. He has realized JDynasim: an interactive graphic flight simulator in JAVA and VRML
• In cooperation with Dr. Dini of the Department of Physics and Astronomy of the Carleton College, Minnesota, USA, he has collaborated with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) situated in Colorado, USA. The activities have regarded wind turbine airfoils analysis and design.
• Experimental tests in wind tunnel of airfoils. Numerous tests have been performed at Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Alberta, Canada, in cooperation with Prof Emeritus David Marsden investigating special airfoils for light aircraft and sailplanes.
• Current cooperation with the prof. Loek Boermans of the Department of Aerospace Engineering, Delft University, Holland, regarding analysis and design of airfoils and of fuselage and wing/fuselage intersection for competition sailplanes.
• Experimental test in wind tunnel of 3D models
• Aero-structural behavior of sails
• Cooperation of Prof. Lars Larsson, Chalmers University of Gothenburg, Sweden, on the design and analysis of sailing yachts appendages for America’s Cup Yachts.
• Flight testing for light aircraft and for R/C models
• He is project leader for the design of a small prototype of a three-surfaces RPV (Remote Piloted Vehicle) that is currently under flight-testing phase.
• He has been the supervisor for a degree thesis on the “Aerodynamic Optimization of Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine” that won the first prize of the national competition on renewable energies, sponsored by ENEA, on 1999
• Cooperation with Prof. Mats Leijon, Department of Engineering Sciences, Division for Electricity and Lightning Research of Uppsala University on the design of permanent Magnet generators to be employed on wind or hydro turbines.
Currently responsible of many contracts signed with both Government Institutions and private companies.
Some of the contracts have concerned:
• Prediction of unsteady behavior of airfoils in unsteady viscous transonic flow
• Analysis and improvement of wind tunnel flow qualities
• Theoretical and experimental analysis of a multi-component airfoil employed on a racing car (Alfa ROMEO 155 participating at the ITC Championship)
• Hydrodynamic, dynamic, structural design and construction of an innovative vertical axis hinged and pitching blades hydro turbine (6 m in diameter with 5 m blade span) for the generation of electric energy exploiting the sea current tides. The KOBOLD turbine is unique in the world and the first prototype is currently installed in the Messina Strait, Sicily, Italy and it is under testing phase. The turbine is internationally patented and it has been presented on both Italian press and television (Ambiente Italia, Leonardo, Tg3 Campania, TG3 Sicilia, Baobab Radio 1, Quark, Il Sole 24 ore, Corriere della Sera, Corriere del Mezzogiorno,Energie Rinnovabili)
• Aircraft behavior and dynamic stability at high angles of attack.
• Theoretical and experimental analysis and optimization of small wind turbines.
• Design of a STOL Ultralight Aircraft: Easy Fly
· Flight testing
· Flight simulation with 6 DOF simulator for light aircraft
• Numerical and experimental Investigation of suction/blowing on a wing to reattach separated flow applied to an high altitude UAV wing (HALEWING)
• Numerical and experimental investigation on multiple winglets: the “remiges”
• Design and construction of a 5 kW wind turbine optimized for low wind speed. He has supported almost all Italian companies involved in the development and manufacturing of small wind turbine in the range of 1 kW up to 60 kW.
• Development of a new system to harness marine current energy in cooperation with FRI-EL Green Power. After many towing tank tests, real field test have been performed on two different scale models of 6 and 20 kW in Messina Strait to prove the new concept.
• Development and patent of new vertical axis wind turbine, MYTHOS
• Development of GEL, a pivoted system for wave energy exploitation
Reviewer of many Scientific Journals
Awards and Professional Experience
Invited as lecturer at some national and international conferences.
Founder of the academic spin-off company EOLPOWER GROUP devoted to the construction of small wind turbines to promote the diffusion of micro-generation of clean energy.
Founder and President of the public/private research Consortium SEAPOWER Scarl www.seapowerscrl.com
Nominated several time expert evaluator for projects submitted to European Community under FP VII program for both Aerospace and Marine Energy fields
Expert evaluator for projects submitted in renewable fields to Italian Ministries for University and for Economical Development as well as to some Regional Authorities
Nominated Italian representative both at the international education
commission at F.A.I. and at OSTIV (Organisation Scientifique et Technique
Internationale du Vol à Voile) commission.
Awarded of “Paul Tissandier” international prize by F.A.I. for the contribution given to general aviation flights.
Invited by Dept. of Ocean and Mechanical Engineering of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT, USA, to give two seminars on the following topics:
1) Harvesting tidal current energy: scientific and technological aspects
2) Economics of harvesting tidal current energy
Patents and Publications:
Ø First signer of the international patent n. WO 2005/024226 A1 – Kobold, Vertical Axis Hydro Turbine
Ø First signer of the national patent n. 0001388799, MYTHOS, Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
Ø Signer of National patent n. 0001403558 , GEM, Ocean Tethered System for marine current energy
Ø Signer of French patent n. 13/02622, regarding Helios Gem, Ocean Tethered System for marine current energy
Ø Signer of International patent n. WO 2016/185101 A1 regarding GEM, Ocean Tethered System for marine current energy
1. C. de Nicola, D.P. Coiro, V. Losito, " An efficient multi methods computer code for the prediction of the inviscid and viscous flow over multi‑component airfoils", AIAA paper 88‑3564, in AIAA CP888, AIAA NFDC Congress, Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A., July 1988
2. C. de Nicola, D.P. Coiro, V. Losito, " Prediction of Aerodynamic Characteristics of High Lift Multi‑Element Airfoils ",in Boundary Elements X, Vol. 2, edited by C.A. Brebbia,1988
3. D.P. Coiro, C. de Nicola, " Prediction of Aerodynamic Performance of Airfoils in Low Reynolds Number Flows ",Low Reynolds Number Aerodynamics Conference, NotreDame, Indiana, U.S.A., June 1989, also published in "Low Reynolds Number Aerodynamics" edited by T.J.Mueller, Springer‑ Verlag, 1989
4. D.P.Coiro, C. de Nicola, " Low Reynolds Number Flows: The Role of The Transition", X Congresso Nazionale AIDAA, Pisa, Ottobre 1989, also published on Aerotecnica, Missili e Spazio, Novembre‑Dicembre, 1989
5. D.P. Coiro, P. de Matteis, M. Amato, " An Euler/Boundary Layer Interaction Method for Transonic Flow Calculations Around Airfoils ", X AIDAA National Congress, Pisa, Ottobre 1989
6. D.P. Coiro, M. Amato, P. de Matteis, " Numerical Prediction of Transonic Viscous Flows Around Airfoils Through an Euler/Boundary Layer Interaction Method", AIAA paper 90‑ 1537, AIAA 21st Fluid Dynamics, Plasma Dynamics & Lasers Conference, Seattle, WA (U.S.A.) ‑ June 18‑20, 1990, published on Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 96, Number 954, April 1992
7. D.P. Coiro, P. de Matteis, M. Amato, " Wake Effects on the Prediction of Transonic Flows Around Airfoils With an Euler/Boundary Layer Interaction Approach", AIAA paper 90‑ 3061, AIAA 8th Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Portland, OR (U.S.A.), August 20‑22, 1990, published on Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 29, Num. 3, May‑June 1992
8. D.P. Coiro, " Convergence Acceleration Procedure for a Viscous/Inviscid Coupling Approach for Airfoil Performances Prediction ", XI AIDAA National Congress, Forli', Italy, October 1991
9. P. Dini, D.P. Coiro, J. Tangier, " Effects of Laminar Separation Bubbles and Turbulent Separation on Airfoil Stall”: Work In Progress ", Windpower '92 Conference, Seattle, WA, Oct. 1992
10. M. Pecora, L. Lecce, D.P. Coiro, F. Marulo, " Aeroelastic Behavior of Long Span Bridges with 'Multibox' Type Deck Sections ", INVENTO Conference 1992, Capri, Oct. 1992, also published on Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 48, N. 2‑3, October 1993
11. D.P. Coiro, V. Giordano, " Wind Tunnel Tests of the VG216 Airfoil" XII AIDAA National Congress, Como, Italy, July 1993
12. D.P. Coiro, P. Dini, " Stall and Post‑Stall Performance Prediction of Advanced Wind‑Turbine Airfoils ", XII AIDAA National Congress, Como, Italy, July 1993
13. D.P. Coiro, F. Nicolosi, " Design of Natural Laminar Flow Fuselages " ICAS Congress, California, USA, September 1994, in final phase for the publication on Aeronautical Journal
14. D.P. Coiro, F. Nicolosi, " Design and Optimization of Glider Components ", OSTIV Congress, Omarama, New Zealand, January 1995 ‑ also in Technical Soaring Journal, Vol. 19, n. 2, April 1995
15. P. Dini, D.P. Coiro, S. Bartolucci, " Vortex Model for Airfoil Stall Prediction Using an Interactive Boundary‑Layer Method ", ASME Conference, Houston, Texas, USA, January 1995
16. P. Dini, D.P. Coiro, " The Prediction of Airfoil Stall, " Status Report for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, Colorado‑ USA, September 1995
17. D.P. Coiro, P. Leoncini, " Dynamic Stability Evaluation and Graphic Visualization of Aircraft Motion at High Angles of Attack, " XIII AIDAA Congress, Roma, September 1995.
18. D.P. Coiro, A. Pagano, " Unsteady Airloads Prediction for Oscillating Airfoils at Separated Flow Conditions, " ICAS 96 Congress Proceedings, Sorrento, Italy, September 1996
19. D.P. Coiro, “Non Linear Aerodynamic Prediction and Stall Manoeuvre Study for a Light Single Propeller Aircraft,” internal Report DPA N. 9516, Novembre 1995
20. D.P. Coiro, F. Nicolosi, A. Amendola, D. Barbagallo, L. Paparone, S. Beccio, P. Castelli, S. Limone, ", Experiments and Numerical Investigation on a Multi‑Component Airfoil Employed in a Racing Car Wing, " SAE Congress, Detroit (USA), February 1997
21. D.P. Coiro, P. Dini, " The Prediction of Aerodynamic Stall Over Wind‑Turbine Airfoils, " International Conference on fluid and thermal energy conversion '97 Yogyakarta, Indonesia, July 1997
22. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., Boermans L.M.M., Woldendorp S., " Testing High Lift Airfoils at Low and Moderate Reynolds Numbers, " ICEFM III Congress ‑ Moscow, June 1997
23. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., " Aerodynamics, Dynamics and Performance prediction of Sailplanes and Light Aircraft, " XXV OSTIV Congress, St. Auban, France, July 1997, published on Technical Soaring Journal,2000, 24(2)
24. Nicolosi F., Coiro D.P., "Fuselage Design and wing integration for Sailplanes and Light Aircraft," XIV AIDAA National Congress, Napoli, Italy, 20‑24 October 1997
25. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., Avino M., "Light Aircraft Aerodynamics, Dynamics and Performances Prediction: AEREO and DYNASIM codes," XIV AIDAA National Congress, Napoli, Italy, 20‑24 October 1997
26. Coiro D.P., Marulo F., Nicolosi F., Ricci F., "Numerical, Wind‑Tunnel and Flight Tests for P92J and P96 Light Aircraft, " ICAS 21 ‑ Melbourne, Australia, September 1998
27. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., “Numerical and Experimental Tests for the Kobold Turbine,” SINERGY Symposium, Hangzhou, Republic of China, November 1998
28. Coiro D.P., Madonna M., "Investigation of Turbulence Effect on Dynamic Behaviour of Aircraft through Use of JDynasim: a Platform Independent Simulation Software," First International Conference on Engineering Design, Prague, May 1999, published on Acta Polytechnica, J. of Advanced Engineering Design, Vol. 40, N. 1/2000
29. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., Madonna M., " JDynaSim as a Simulation Tool to Study the Dynamic Behaviour of Sailplanes in Thermal” XXVI OSTIV Congress, Bayreuth, Germany, August 1999. Published on Technical Soaring
30. Giordano V., Coiro D.P:, Nicolosi F., “Reconnaissance Very Light Aircraft Design. Wind-Tunnel and Numerical Investigation”. EHAE 99 Conference, Prague, Sept. 1999. Published on Journal for theoretical and applied mechanics – Czech Republic.
31. Giordano V., Coiro D. P., Nicolosi F., Di Leo L.,"Design and Aerodynamic Optimization of a NewReconnaissance Very Light Aircraft through Wind-Tunnel Tests", AGARD Symposium on Aerodynamic Design and Optimization of Flight Vehicles in a Concurrent Multi-Disciplinary Environment, Ottawa, Canada, October 1999
32. Malpede S.M., Vezza M., Coiro D.P., “Load Distribution along a Sail-Mast,” 3rd ISEA International Conference on The Engineering of Sport, Sydney, 9-12 Giugno 2000 published on "The Engineering of Sport", eds. A.J. Subic, S.J. Haake, Black well, 2001, ISBN0632055634
33. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., “Design, Construction and Preliminary Tests of aThree Surfaces UAV Model,” XVI AIDAA National Congress, Palermo, 24-28 Settembre 2001
34. Giordano V., Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., “Flight Tests, Flight Simulation and V.El. Certification on G97 Light Aircraft” XVI AIDAA National Congress, Palermo, 24-28 Settembre 2001
35. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., “Design of Low Speed Aircraft by Numerical and Experimental Techniques Developed at DPA”, published on Aircraft Design, 4(2001) Pergamon Press
36. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., “Design of a Three Lifting Surfaces R/C Model Aircraft,” International Conference on Engineering Design, Glasgow, UK, June 2001, accepted for publication on Acta Polythecnica International Journal.
37. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F. And De Marco A., “Performances and Dynamic Behaviour Determination of DG400 Sailplane through Flight Tests ,” accepted for publication on Technical Soaring, February 2002
38. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., “The ENERMAR Project”, IATICE 2002 Conference and Exhibition, Melbourne, Australia, April 2002
39. Coiro D.P., “Kobold Turbine: a Patented System for the Exploitation of the Marine Currents”, invited lecture at Sino-Italian Meeting on China-EU project, Beijing China, 24-25 September 2002
40. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A. and Genito N., “Flying Qualities Analysis of A Three surfaces Aircraft Model” ICAS Conference, Toronto, Canada, September 2002
41. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., Scherillo F. and Maisto U., “Numerical and Experimental Aeroelastic Analysis of Sails,” High Performance Yatch Design Conference, Aukland, New Zealand, December 2002
42. D.P. Coiro , F. Nicolosi , A. Moroso , N. Soprano "Exploitation of Marine Tidal Currents: Design, Installation and Experimental Results for the Patented Kobold Vertical Axis Hydro Turbine", Poster-International Conference OWEMES 2003, 10-12 April 2003, Naples
43. Coiro D.P., “RPV and Light Aircraft Aerodynamics, Performances and Flying Qualities Estimation, Simulation and Flight Tests”, invited lecture at: DINCON 2003, International Conference on System Identification, San Paolo, Brasil, 18-23 August 2003
44. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A. and Genito N., “Flying qualities and performances estimation of three surfaces aircraft RPV model with and without canard from flight test,” XVII AIDAA National Congress, Rome, 15-19 September 2003
45. Coiro D. P., Nicolosi F., Scherillo F. and Maisto U. “Aero-Structural Behavior of Sails: Numerical and Experimental Investigation,” XVII AIDAA National Congress, Rome, 15-19 September 2003
46. Coiro D.P., De Marco A. and Leoncini P., “Advanced Accident Fflight Path Simulation and innovative Visual Animation,”ESMC2003, 27-29 October 2003
48. Coiro D.P., “Numerical and Experimental Activities on the Aero-Structural Behaviour of Sails and on the Hydrodynamics of Lifting Surfaces”, invited lecture at Chalmers University of Technology, Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Gothenburg, Sweden, January 12th 2004
49. Coiro D.P., “Clean Energy Production from Tidal Currents with KOBOBLD Turbine”, invited lecture at Seminar “Verso un futuro energetico sostenibile” during the “XIV Settimana della Cultura Scientifica e Tecnologica” at Faculty of Economics University of Molise – Campobasso, March 25th th 2004
50. Iscold, P.H. A. de O.; Ribeiro, R. P., Pinto, R. L. U. de F.; Resende, L. S., Coiro, D. P., Nicolosi, F.; Genito, N., 2004, “Light Aircraft Instrumentation to Determine Performance, Stability and Control Characteristics in Flight Tests,” SAE BRASIL Congress 2004, SAE Technical Papers Series , ISSN 0148-7191.
51. E. Segergren, K. Nilsson, D.P. Coiro and M. Leijon, “ Design of the very low speed PM generator for the patented KOBOLD tidal current turbine ” EnergyOcean Conference, Palm Beach, Florida 2004
52. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A., Genito N. and Figliolia S. “Design of a Low Cost Easy-to-Fly STOL Ultralight Aircraft In Composite Material”, Acta Polytechnica, Vol.45-N. 4/2005
53. Coiro D.P., “Kobol Vertical axis turbine to harness marine tidal currents: dynamic and hydrodynamic behaviour”, invited lecture at Uppsala University, Department of Engineering Sciences, Division for Electricity and Lightning Reasearch , Uppsala, Sweden, April 26th 2004
54. Segergren E., Nilsson K., Coiro D.P. and Leijon M., “Design of a Very Low Speed PM Generator for the Patented KOBOLD Tidal Current Turbine,” EnergyOcean 2004, West Palm Beach, Florida, 28-29 June 2004
55. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A., Melone S.. and Montella F. “Dynamic Behavior of a Patented KOBOLD Tidal Current Turbine: Numerical and Exoperimental Aspects”, Acta Polytechnica, Vol.45-N. 3/2005
56. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., Genito N., Andreutti G.. “Design, aerodynamic analysis and performances estimation of a MALE Turbo-Prop UAV for civil application”, 4° International Conference on Advanced Engineering Design” Glasgow, – UK, 5-8 September 2004
57. Invited Seminars: Coiro D.P., “1) Harvesting tidal current energy: scientific and technological aspects; 2) Economics of harvesting tidal current energy” at MIT, Massachussets Institute of Technology, Boston, February 2005
58. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A., Melone S.. and Montella F., “Dynamic Behavior of Novel Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbine: Numerical and Experimental Investigations,” ISOPE Conference, Seul, June 2005
59. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A., Melone S.. and Montella F., “Flow curvature effectS on dynamic behaviour of a novel vertical axis tidal current turbine: numerical and experimental analysis,” ASME- OMAE2005 Conference, Greece, June 2005
60. Coiro D.P., Bellobuono F., Nicolosi F. and De Marco A “Drag reduction and high-lift improvement of UAV-airfoils through boundary-layer suction/blowing,” CEAS-Katnet Cnference Conference, Brema, Germany June 2005
61. Coiro D. P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A., Melone S., Montella F., "Dynamic Behavior of a patented KOBOLD Tidal Current Turbine: Numerical and Experimental Aspects." pubblicato su Acta Polythecnica International Journal, Vol. 45 N. 4/2005, pagg. 77-84
62. Coiro D.P., Nicolosi F., De Marco A., Genito N. and Figliolia S. “Design of a Low Cost Easy-to-Fly STOL Ultralight Aircraft In Composite Material”, pubblicato su Acta Polythecnica International Journal, Vol. 45 N. 4/2005, pagg. 73-80
63. Coiro D.P. in cooperation with Karen Fisher Mason, editor “Composite Tidal Turbine To Harness Ocean Energy” Composite Technologies, December 2005, http://www.compositesworld.com/ct/issues/2005/December
64. Cavallaro F., Coiro D.P., “Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of a marine current turbine for cleaner energy production,” 3rd International Conference on Life Cycle Management, Zurich, August 2007
65. Coiro D.P., F. Nicolosi, F. Scherillo, U. Maisto, "Improving Hang-Glider Maneuverability using multiple winglets:a numerical and experimental investigation”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 45, n.3, 2008
66. D.P.Coiro “ Numerical and Experimental Investigation on novel systems for harvesting tidal current energy”, OREG (Ocean Renewable Energy Group) Spring Symposium, Quebec City, Canada, April 21-22, 2008
67. Coiro D. P., Bellobuono E.F., Nicolosi F., Donelli R., "Improving aircraft Endurance through turbulent separation control”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 45, n.3, 2008
68. Coiro D.P., De Marco A, Scherillo F., Familio R.,Troise G.,“Harnessing Marine Current Energy with tethered submerged systems: experimental tests and numerical model analysis of an innovative concept,” ICCEP Conference Capri, Italy, June 2009
69. Coiro D.P., De Marco A, Scherillo F., Familio R.,Troise G., “Experimental test campaign on an innovative device to harness energy from tidal and river current,” ICCEP Conference Capri, Italy, June 2009 21.
70. Coiro D. P., Nicolosi F., Grasso F., “Design and testing of multi-element airfoil for short-take-off and landing ultrilight aircraft,”, Journal of Aircraft Vol. 46, n.5 Sept-Oct 2009
71. T.Maggio,F.Grasso,D.P.Coiro, “Numerical study on Performance of Innovative Wind Turbine Blade for Loads Reduction”, EWEA Conference, March 2011, Bruxell
72. N. Bizzarrini,F.Grasso, D.P.Coiro,”Genetic Algorithms in Wind Turbine Airfoil Design”, EWEA 2011, March 2011, Bruxell
73. F. Scherillo, G. Troise, D.P.Coiro, S. Miranda, “Numerical and experimental Analysis of a Strouded Hydroturbine,” ICCEP Conference, June 2011, Ischia
74. D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, F.Scherillo, A.De Marco, U. Maisto, “Experimental Tests of GEM- Ocean’s Kite, an Innovative Patented Submerged System for Marine Current Energy Production,” ICCEP Conference, June 2011, Ischia
75. N. Bizzarrini, F.Grasso, D.P.Coiro, “Numerical Optimization for High Efficiency, Low Noise Airfoils,” 29th AIAA Applied Aerodynamic Conference, June 2011, Honululu, Hawaii,
76. T.Maggio, F.Grasso, D.P. Coiro, “Numerical study on Performance of Curved Turbine Blade for Loads Reduction,” ICWE Conference, July 2011,Amsterdam
77. E. Daniele, F. Nicolosi, D. P. Coiro, “Improvements in performance estimation of wind turbine blade airfoils at low Reynolds number", 3rd CEAS Air \& Space Conference, 21th AIDAA Congress, October 24-27,2011, San Giorgio Maggiore Island, Venice, Italy, ISBN 9788896427187,10 pp.
78. G. Brando, D.P. Coiro, A. Dannier, “An efficient power control strategy for small fixed-pitch wind turbine to extend the operating range to high wind speed region”, SPEEDAM 2012; Sorrento, Italy, 20-22 June 2012
79. F. Scherillo, L. Izzo, D.P. Coiro, D. Lauria, “Fuzzy logic control for a small pitch controlled wind turbine”, SPEEDAM 2012; Sorrento, Italy, 20-22 June 2012
80. D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, F.Scherillo, “Design, towing tank test and deployment of full scale GEM, a novel tethered system for harnessing tidal energy”, Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (AWTEC 2012), Jeju, South Corea, June 2012
81. D.P. Coiro, “Development of Innovative Tidal Current Energy Converters:From Research to Deployment”, Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (AWTEC 2012), Jeju, South Corea, June 2012
82. E. Ferrauto, E. Daniele, D. P. Coiro, ``Horizontal axis hydroturbine shroud airfoil optimization", EUROGEN 2013, University of Las Palmas Gran Canaria, Las Palmas of Gran Canaria, Spain, October 7-9th, 2013.
83. E. Daniele, D. P. Coiro, ``Optimization of diffuser geometry for an horizontal axis shrouded hydro turbine", International Conference on Clean Electrical Power : Renewable Energy Resources Impact, IEEE Transaction, Alghero, Sardinia - Italy, June 11th-13th, 2013.
84. D. P. Coiro, G. Troise, C. Ciuffardi, G.M. Sannino ``Tidal current energy resource assessment: the Strait of Messina test case ", International Conference on Clean Electrical Power : Renewable Energy Resources Impact, IEEE Transaction, Alghero, Sardinia - Italy, June 11th-13th,2013
85. D.P. Coiro, E. Daniele, F. Scherillo, ``Effects of structure flexibility on horizontal axis wind turbine performances'', ICNAAM 2013, Rhodes, Greece, 21st-27th September 2013
86. E. Daniele, E. Ferrauto, D.P. Coiro, “Horizontal Axis Hydroturbine Shroud Airfoil Optimization” in Advances in Evolutionary and Deterministic Methods for Design, Optimization and Control in Engineering and Sciences<http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-11541-2>, Chapter 5, Volume 36 of the series Computational Methods in Applied Sciences<http://link.springer.com/bookseries/6899>, 2014, pp 241-256
87. D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, U.Maisto, G. Calise, “Numerical And Experimental Tests On A Scaled Model Of A Point Pivoted Absorber For Wave Energy Conversion”, Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, AWTEC 2014, Tokyo, Japan, 28-31 July 2014.
88. D.P. Coiro, E. Daniele, P. Della Vecchia“Diffuser Shape Optimization For Gem, A Tethered System Based On Two Horizontal Axis Hydro Turbines”, Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, AWTEC 2014, Tokyo, Japan, 28-31 July 2014.
89. D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, F.Scherillo, G. Calise, N. Bizzarrini, “Experimental Test And Numerical Shape Optimization Of A Point Pivoted Absorber For Wave Energy Conversion” VI International Conference on Marine Engineering, MARINE 2015, Rome, Italy, June 2015
90. D.P. Coiro, F.Scherillo, G. Troise, N. Bizzarrini, G. Calise, “Numerical and Experimental Test on an Innovative Device Based on Multiple Rotors in Line to Tap Clean Energy from Tidal and River Current”, Journal of Technology Innovations in Renewable Energy, Vol 5, No 3 (2016)
91. D.P. Coiro, E. Daniele, P. Della Vecchia, “Diffuser shape optimization for GEM, a tethered system based on two horizontal axis hydro turbines”, International Journal of Marine Energy”, Vol. 13, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijome.2015.08.002
92. A. Vogler, D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, F. De Luca, L. Castellini, G. Alessandri, C. Greenwood, “Performance of A Point Pivoted WEC Equipped with a Linear Ball Screw Generator in Regular Wave Conditions”, CORE 2016,2ndInternational Conference on Offshore Renewable Energy, Glasgow, UK, 12-14 September 2016
93. F.Grasso, D.P. Coiro, N. Bizzarrini, G. Calise, “Design of advanced airfoil for stall-regulated wind turbines”Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Volume 753-022008 http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/753/2/022008 ,October 2016
95. D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, F.Scherillo, A. De Marco, G. Calise, N. Bizzarrini, “Development, deployment and experimental test on the novel tethered system GEM for tidal current energy exploitation”, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2017.01.040, Renewable Energy Journal, 26th January 2017
96. Archetti R., Arena F., S. Barberis, L. Benedetti, D. Borello, L. Cappietti, A. Carillo, L. Castellini, M. Cippitelli, D. Coiro, G. De Santis, M. Fontana, A. Giacomi, A. Gulisano, R. M. Iannolo, M. Keber, F. Lagasco, T. Lamberti, M. Marcelli, G. Mattiazzo, G. Passoni, M. Peviani, A. Romolo, F. Salvatore, S. Scanu, M. V. Struglia, A. Traverso, R. Vertechy, D. Vicinanza (2017) Ocean Energy exploitation in Italy: ongoing R&D activities, Volume edito nell’ambito di “The European Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SET-Plan) which aims to accelerate the development and deployment of low-carbon technologies”. Edited by Gianmaria Sannino, Giovanna Pisacane, ENEA, pp. 1-54, ISBN: 978-88-8286-355-5
97. D.P. Coiro, G. Troise, , N. Bizzarrini, “Experiences in Developing Tidal Current and Wave Energy Devices for Mediterranean Sea”, https://doi.org/10.3389/fenrg.2018.00136 ,Frontiers in Energy Research Journal, December 2018
98. D. P. Coiro, G. Troise, N. Bizzarrini, G. Lazzerini, “GEMSTAR: A Tethered System For Tapping Tidal Currents Energy,” ISOPE 2019 Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 2019, ISBN 978-1-880653-85-2
99. Domenico Coiro and Tonio Sant, “Renewable Energy form Oceans: From wave, tidal and gradient systems to offshore wind and solar”, book, ISBN: 978-1-78561-766-9 / eBook ISBN: 978-1-78561-767-6, August 2019
100. B. Kirke and D. P. Coiro, “Tidal and current energy”, book chapter, in “Renewable Energy form Oceans: From wave, tidal and gradient systems to offshore wind and solar”, ISBN: 978-1-78561-766-9 / eBook ISBN: 978-1-78561-767-6, August 2019
101. G. Sannino, A. Carillo, A.Vogler, G. Bracco, G. Mattiazzo, D. Vicinanza, P. Contestabile, D. P. Coiro, G. Troise, L. Castellini and J.V. Ringwood, ”Wave Energy”, book chapter, in “Renewable Energy form Oceans: From wave, tidal and gradient systems to offshore wind and solar”, ISBN: 978-1-78561-766-9 / eBook ISBN: 978-1-78561-767-6, August 2019
102. D. P. Coiro, G. Troise, N. Bizzarrini, G. Lazzerini, “Experimental And Numerical Analysis Of Gemstar, A Tethered Tidal Current Energy Harvester” EWTEC 2019 Conference, Napoli, Italy, September 2019, ISSN 2309-1983
103. D. P. Coiro, G. Troise, N. Bizzarrini, L. Castellini, “Numerical and experimental test on a large-scale model of a pivoting wave energy conversion system” EWTEC 2019 Conference, Napoli, Italy, September 2019, ISSN 2309-1983
104. F. Balestrino, D. P. Coiro, G. Giannini, D. Giudice, G. Troise, “Resource Assessment for the GEMSTAR Tidal Current Energy Harvester Deployment in the Strait of Messina” EWTEC 2019 Conference, Napoli, Italy, September 2019, ISSN 2309-1983